Founded: 1947 as a 501(c)4 non profit educational club
Visitors are always welcome
Objective and Purpose:
To disseminate knowledge of mineralogy and the earth sciences. To encourage study in these subjects through means of the presentation of public exhibitions, lectures, slide programs, demonstrations and similar programs. To arrange field trips for exploration, study, and collection of specimens ... The preparation, publication and distribution of articles pertaining to these fields. The encouragement of interest of young people and fostering of classes in mineralogy and lapidary arts. ...
Colton Marble Mill that slabbed the Verde Antique
Mojave Consolidated Development Company Quarries (Marble and Verde Antique)
(From The Structural and Industrial Materials of California, Bulletin No. 38, California, State Mining Bureau, San Francisco, California, 1906.)
The Crossley, and Rialto buildings, San Francisco, being trimmed with the verde antique marble (see Mojave Consolidated Development Company); also in the Lankershim Hotel, Los Angeles, and will be used in the new Bishop Building, San Francisco. It is mostly cut to 1-inch stock. The plant is equipped with six gang-saws, one 14-foot ribbing bed, two jiolishing machines, one counter sinking machine, one tile machine, and one machine for cutting plumber's slabs, etc. Power is furnished by a 100-horsepower Boiler using oil as fuel, one 50-horsepower steam engine, and one 50-horsepower electric engine.
Mojave Consolidated Development Company, J. P. O'Brien, 175 Crocker Building, San Francisco, organized to operate the Verde Antique Marble quarry, formerly known as the Gem quarry (Alamo Consolidated Marble Company), or the Kimball mine, in Sec. 28, T. 7 N., R. 2 W., S. B. M., on the Mojave Desert, about 16 miles N. 25° E. from Victorville, a station on the Southern California Railway. It was opened a number of years ago by Frank Kimball of National City, San Diego County, and has been worked at several different times. It is idle this year (1904). More than 400 tons of marble have been hauled from this quarry to Victorville, and shipped by rail to Colton, where it was sawed, polished, and prepared for use. It has been used for interior decoration in a number of buildings in Los Angeles and San Francisco. Some very handsome stone has been obtained from this quarry, probably as fine as any in the United States, and it seems unfortunate that more of it is not put on the market.
While the long distance from the railway makes the marketing expensive, the beauty of the stone is sufficient to command a price that would pay for the transportation.
The quarry opening is from 60 to 100 feet long, with a face of about 75 feet. It is in what appears to be a large dike or intrusive mass of serpentine and calcite, in the midst of a granitic porphyry. The metamorphism is now so complete that it would require a more detailed study of the rock and the locality to determine the nature of the original rock from which the serpentine and calcite were derived. The rock is quite heterogeneous in structure. In some places the pure serpentine is from 5 to 10 feet thick; elsewhere the serpentine occurs in patches and bands of limestone, which alternates in white and blue. In places the limestone is from 10 to 20 feet thick, without any serpentine. The serpentine varies in color from light yellow-green to a dark green. The handsomest stone is that in which the bright yellow-green occurs banded with dark green and white limestone.
Both the limestone and serpentine contain many cracks and weather seams, so that there is a large quantity of waste material to be handled. The method of quarrying by blasting has caused additional waste.
There are two derricks in the quarry and another one at the base of the hill. The stone is dragged from the quarry to the base of the steep part of the mountainside, where it is loaded on wagons to be hauled to the railway.
It is to be hoped that this quarry may soon be again in operation, and that it may be worked more systematically and on a larger scale.
The serpentine outcrops again about half a mile S. 70° E. from the quarry, but it is not certain that this mass is connected with that at the quarry.
- Hits: 24707